The Historical Sites Of Alanya
THE ALANYA CASTLE
The Alanya Castle was constructed in 1226 with the instructions Seljuk leader Alaaddin Keykubat. It's located on the peninsula and it's 250 meters above sea level. The castle, the Shipyard and the Red Tower together form a cresent. The walls built are 6,5km long. The castle itself has three parts (inner, middle and outer castle). Ehmedek, which is the middle part, reaches all the way to the middle part. The castle that has been able to atractive till this day, has become the symbol of Alanya.
THE RED TOWER
The Red Tower that was built in 1226 is located next to the harbor. It was built to protect against the attacks approaching from the sea and has also become a symbol of Alanya. Now it's only used as an exhibition hall and the doors on the North - West side are the only ones that open to the outer walls. There are all together 16 pipes for air ventilation and the light reaches all the way to the bottom ground.
THE HARBOUR WALLS
The walls were constructed in 1226 during Allaaddin Keykubat's reign and they are 6.5 km long. Nowadays they are decorated with red lights which give them a nice look. The walls give the castle its special atmosphere as you are listening to the waves.
THE FOUNTAIN WITH A MURAL
The history of this fountain with a mural located in the Atatürk Street. The fountain was discovered after some excavation work done around the area. After some research was done, the man / woman who made it is still unknown. Although this historical relic does not attract much attention, it has a great historical value as a work from the past projected to this day.
Antrepo (warehouse), is a foreign word that has transferred itself to Turkish language from French. The meaning of the word is a place where merchandise is stored and kept safe. After they were built in 1226, they have been used to store the ships' equipment, supplies, and ammunition.
After Allaaddin Keykubat, also knwon as ''the sultan of the two seas'' had finished with the shipyard constructed in Blacksea, started the new shipyard project in Alanya next to the Red Tower at the end of the small beach in 1228. The shipyard was used to construct and repair boats, and it was used till 1960. Today it is only used as a museum to remind the life style of the past.
Tophane (armory) is located to the south of the shipyard. On the left and right of it, there are windows that are called "The Hole of the Devil". The construction consists mostly of bricks. There is a cistern to cover the water needs of the wardens and guards. The two-floored 19 meters tall building gives Alanya even more historical atmosphere.
The lighthouse was originally constructed in 1883 by an architect from Nevşehir, Damat İbrahim Paşa, the finishing touch was given by the Turkish Government in 1911. Its light is 209 meters above sea level and it has served seamen by showing the way for 132 years. The construction belongs to the ministry of Transport and it consists of two parts. The lighthouse you admire during a walk at the harbor really has a long history.